Study mobility

ERASMUS Student Mobility for Studies

Student mobility for studies, the centrepiece of the Erasmus programme, enables students at higher education institutions to spend an integrated period of study of between 3 months and 12 months in another participating country.

What are the objectives of student mobility for studies?
  • To enable students to benefit educationally, linguistically and culturally from the experience of learning in other European countries;
  • To promote co-operation between institutions and to enrich the educational environment of host institutions;
  • To contribute to the development of a pool of well-qualified, open-minded and internationally experienced young people as future professionals.

Who can benefit?Students registered at a higher education institution holding an ERASMUS University Charter.
For how long can students go abroad?Students can study between 3 to 12 months abroad or at least a full academic trimester/term.
What are the preconditions?
  • ERASMUS student mobility for studies is carried out in the framework of prior "inter-institutional agreements" between home and host institutions, both of which must be holders of an ERASMUS University Charter.
  • ERASMUS students are selected by their home higher education institution in a fair and transparent way.

What arrangements are made for the ERASMUS students?Prior to their departure, ERASMUS students are provided with:
  • A study agreement (grant agreement) covering the mobility period and signed between the student and his or her home higher education institution.
  • A "Learning Agreement" setting out the programme of studies to be followed, as approved by the student, the home and the host institution;
  • The "ERASMUS Student Charter" setting out their rights and obligations with respect to his/her period of study abroad.

At the end of the period abroad:

  • The host institution must provide the ERASMUS student and his/her home institution with a transcript of records confirming that the agreed programme has been completed and confirming the results.
  • The home institution must give full academic recognition for satisfactorily completed activities during the ERASMUS mobility period as agreed in the Learning Agreement, preferably by using ECTS credits. The ERASMUS mobility period should also be recorded in the Diploma Supplement. In addition, the use of Europass mobility documents.

Will financial support be provided or fees charged?
  • Students may be awarded an ERASMUS grant to help cover the travel and subsistence costs (including insurance and visa costs) incurred in connection with their study period abroad.
  • ERASMUS students - whether or not they receive an ERASMUS grant - are exempted from paying fees for tuition, registration, examinations and access to laboratory and library facilities at the host institution.
  • The payment of any national grant or loan to outgoing students should be maintained during the ERASMUS study period abroad.
  • Students may only receive two ERASMUS grants: one for a study period and one for a placement period.
  • Students enrolled in an Erasmus Mundus Course, who do not get an Erasmus Mundus grant, may qualify for an ERASMUS grant under the general ERASMUS conditions.

Are language courses provided?An ERASMUS student may follow, if offered, an ERASMUS Intensive Language Course in the host language before the study period, for which a grant may also be awarded.
Who can apply?The home institution of the students applies for ERASMUS mobility grants to its national agency while the students apply to their home institution.For higher education institutions:
  • ERASMUS student mobility for studies is based on "bilateral inter-institutional agreements" between the participating higher education institutions each of which must hold an ERASMUS university charter.
  • At least the sending or the receiving country must be an EU Member State.
For students:
  • The student must either be a national of a country participating in the Lifelong Learning Programme or a national of other countries enrolled in regular courses in institutions of higher education in a participating country, under the conditions fixed by each of the participating countries, taking into account the nature of the programme (please refer to the relevant National Agency website).
  • The student must be registered in a higher education institution which holds an ERASMUS University Charter and be enrolled in higher education studies leading to a recognised degree or other recognised tertiary level qualification up to and including the level of doctorate.
  • The student must be enrolled at least in the second year of higher education studies.
  • At least the sending or the receiving country must be an EU Member State.

How to apply?The interested student has to turn to the international office and/or ERASMUS office of his or her home higher education institution. The office will inform him or her of the possibilities of studying abroad as well as the modalities to apply and to receive an ERASMUS grant.
What are the arrangements for students with special needs?Students with special needs may apply for a specific grant after they have been selected for a mobility period.See information on special needs arrangements.